AKD is an International Sociology Honor Society that seeks to “promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.”
Why Join AKD?
Eligible students who join AKD will become a
lifetime member, which can be used on your resume, applications for graduate school, and job applications. Moreover, you will receive the following member benefits:
- Free one-year subscription to the journal Sociological Inquiry.
- Eligibility to compete in paper contests with cash prizes and travel money to present your paper at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
- Eligibility to apply for funding to present your research at regional sociological meetings.
- You may purchase honor cords, pins, and other AKD memorabilia.
- Members who become Civil Service employees, provided you enter at the GS-5 level, will meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay-grade) if AKD membership is listed on the application.
Please refer to the attached flier to learn more about the organization, benefits of membership, eligibility requirements, and the process for joining AKD.
Want to Join?
Dr. Heather McLaughlin
Department of Sociology
Oklahoma State University
431 Murray Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078-4062
Phone: (405) 744-6124
Fax: (405) 744-5780