ΑΚΔ is an International Sociology Honor Society that seeks to “promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.”
Why Join AKΔ?
Eligible students who join AKΔ will become a lifetime member, which can be used on your resume, applications for graduate school, and job applications.
Moreover, you will receive the following member benefits:
- Free one-year subscription to the journal Sociological Inquiry.
- Eligibility to compete in paper contests with cash prizes and travel money to present your paper at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
- Eligibility to apply for funding to present your research at regional sociological meetings.
- You may purchase honor cords, pins, and other AKD memorabilia.
- Members who become Civil Service employees, provided you enter at the GS-5 level, will meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay-grade) if AKD membership is listed on the application.
Visit Alpha Kappa Delta's website to learn more about the organization and benefits of membership. More information about joining, and the membership application for the Oklahoma State University chapter, Gamma of Oklahoma, can be found above.
How Do I Join?
Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, October 15th. You may deliver your applications directly to Dr. Jonathan Coley (460 Social Sciences & Humanities) or to the Department of Sociology main office (431 Social Sciences & Humanities). Complete applications consist of the following materials:
- a completed membership application form (attached)
- a current (unofficial) copy of your transcript
- a one-time payment of $50.00. Cash, check, or money order will be accepted. Checks should be made payable to Jonathan Coley (I will write a single check covering the cost of all new members to the AKD office). If your application is denied because you do not meet eligibility criteria, this payment will be returned to you.
Am I Eligible?
Undergraduate students and graduate students are both eligible to join.
- Must be at least a junior (i.e., must have completed at least 60 credit hours).
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.3 (including transfer credits).
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at Oklahoma State University.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology at Oklahoma State University (not including pass/fail courses).
- Must be pursuing a Master's or Doctoral degree in Sociology
- Must have completed at least one semester of graduate study
- Must hold a graduate GPA of “B” or better
Have More Questions?
Dr. Jonathan Coley
Department of Sociology
Oklahoma State University
460 Social Sciences & Huamnities
Stillwater, OK 74078-4062
Phone: (405) 744-6122
Fax: (405) 744-5780